1 or 2 Veterinarians wanted for small animals and exotics, excellent mentoring
Charlestown Animal Hospital
Location: Charlestown, New Hampshire
Type: Full Time
Salary: $90,000-125,000 / year
Starting salary range is $90,000 – $125,000, based on experience. Relocation allowance is negotiable. And in this tight housing market, at the end of the summer we will have a 3 bedroom/3 bath house to rent just minutes from work and we can make a 1 bedroom apartment less than 10 minutes from work, with land to recreate on, available to rent.
Before you decide this isn’t enough compared to other hospitals, please consider: your money goes a lot farther in a semi-rural area than an urban one - you can buy a house and land here with what you’ll pay to rent a small apartment in a city; extra dollars won’t replace the mentoring you’ll get here; extra dollars won’t replace the many environmental factors that decrease your stress level living here; and your quality of life will be so much better here because we’re a really awesome group to work with!
In addition to salary plus generous on-call compensation, we offer paid: DEA and state licenses, AVMA dues, Continuing Ed, time off (no quibbling about vacation vs sick vs personal time), professional liability, health insurance contribution, Simple IRA with up to 3% matching from us, VIN membership, clothing allowance, and generous pet discounts.
DVM or equivalent
2 openings available.
We are growing rapidly, and need more people!
Do you want: MENTORING in an OPEN encouraging environment, to be part of a GREAT TEAM, to have enough TIME TO CONNECT with your patients and clients, some FLEXIBILITY to your schedule so you can have that WORK-LIFE BALANCE in a BEAUTIFUL PLACE so you can be HAPPY both at work and at play?
WE'VE GOT ALL THAT AND MORE!
* MENTORING - We mentored our associate, Desmond, 3 1/2 years ago and she’s the one who said our mentoring is part of what makes us stand out from the competition for a new associate.
* AN ENCOURAGING, OPEN ENVIRONMENT - Don’t know everything already? Funny that, nor do we… But we love to learn new things and share! This year we learned about doxepin for nerve function, Cerenia for mucus reduction, and silicone stents for laryngeal paralysis for our own dog, Josephine. (I'm sure you'll be so surprised to know a vet's dog doesn't always follow the rules, making a tie-back not the best choice for her...)
* A GREAT TEAM TO WORK WITH - We like each other and have fun at work! Our friendly, highly skilled staff includes the equivalent of almost 6 full time technicians (that whole "work-life balance" means not everyone wants full-time...) who start appointments, gather histories, collect and run lab work (blood, urine, ear smears, centrifuged fecals, etc), take rads, place catheters, start fluids, anesthetize and intubate patients, work in client education, crack jokes with each other and the clients, plus plus plus. We have a couple additional staffers who are especially good with the big, scared, and mobile dogs. Many of our clients tell us their dogs love to come here, and the pets who act out at other places don't act out here, (or not as much), because we have great staff who work with them, which is one of the reasons we need more doctors!
* ENOUGH TIME FOR APPOINTMENTS - A schedule of 30 min appts + 10 min breaks between = time to interact, educate, and tailor a plan to meet our clients’ + patients’ needs = better compliance and long-term satisfaction for us all. Our clients love this, and recommend us frequently. This is another reason we’re growing and need more doctors!
* SOME FLEXIBILITY IN YOUR WORK WEEK - Are you looking for a 3, 4, or 5 day work week? Are you an early bird or a night owl, and hoping for work hours to match? For the most part, we can accommodate…
* A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO LIVE AND WORK AND PLAY - This semi-rural area of southwestern New Hampshire hosts an extensive multi-use trail system for hiking / biking / horseback riding / snow mobiling / etc, a handful of big mountains for skiing / tubing / snow boarding and some smaller local ones as well, plenty of access for camping / fishing / boating / swimming / hunting / etc, and plenty of events and activities. And urban areas / college towns with all the amenities are not far away. This is why so many people moved HERE due to COVID.
* NICE TOYS TO PLAY WITH - We have Idexx in-house blood and urine analyzers, the better otoscopes, tonopen, digital x-ray and digital dental x-ray, a new ultrasound (and some US-specific CE to share up until August), rigid TCI and flexible endoscopes, radiocautery, surgical suction, fluid pumps, anesthetic monitors, hot water blankets, incubator for cultures, incubator / O2 cage for small to medium pets, and more.
* REALISTIC WORK ATTIRE - polo shirt with our logo, good jeans or similar, sensible shoes, no uncomfortable and easily ruined dress wear, and no white coat to scare the patients.
Check out our website, charlestownanimalhospital .com for more information on the services we offer our clients. There’s lots of routine stuff, but some things we do here are fairly unique and pretty cool, which gives our clients more options and us some variety. Newbies – no worries, we really do great mentoring!
We’re looking for a couple more people like us: team-players who are compassionate, thorough, client-education-oriented, able to think outside the box, with a wild (but never mean) sense of humor. We’d like full timers, but the right part timers would be considered. New grads are welcome. Friends or partners who work well together are welcome. We do need full timers to cover some on-call, but don’t let that scare you off: it’s just 1 weekend per month OR a couple nights per week unless you want more (you choose), you’ll always have a tech with you if you have to see someone, you are compensated additionally for all you do on emergency (a great way to pay off loans faster…), we’re still available to consult or help out, and anything you’re not comfortable with can be sent to an emergency hospital. People really appreciate our ability to triage and talk them through things after-hours, which gained us more daytime clients, and is also why we need more doctors!
For those of you actively interested in emergency and critical care, we stopped taking non-client urgencies and emergencies a year ago because it was too much for just two of us, but the need still exists for a variety of reasons. We would be happy to make you and the people who live around us happier by taking those clients/patients again...
We have a real buy-in/buy-out opportunity for the person who fits our hospital culture. I'm not ready to retire yet because I still love what we do, but I am seriously ready to plan that. Our associate is not interested in owning a hospital, and I value my staff and clientele enough not to want to sell to a corporate buyer when the time comes. This means that for the right person, I'll be a fairly motivated seller in terms of setting you up to succeed.
If what we have described appeals to you, then please contact us to chat about our job openings.
You’ll need a NH license (pass the NAVLE and a NH jurisprudence exam), and a VT license (pass the NAVLE and apply to VT).
A DEA license and APHIS accreditation are a plus (you can’t play with puppies for health certificates without an APHIS accreditation…).
We are a growing, 2 doctor small animal hospital in beautiful semi-rural Southwestern New Hampshire; have the great outdoors in your own back yard, with urban amenities not far away. Our highly skilled, and still growing, staff currently includes the equivalent of almost 6 full time technicians and 8 additional support personnel. Our associate says our mentoring sets us apart, as do our patrons about our client education. We are a full service hospital, offering wellness care, internal medicine, reproduction, stem cell, and surgical services. See our website, charlestownanimalhospital.com, for a full list of our services. We have visiting certified Ultrasonographer and board certified Internist for consultations, special ultrasounds, cardiology work-ups, etc, as well as several referral hospitals within a reasonable distance.