1 or 2 Veterinarians wanted for small animals and exotics, excellent mentoring
Charlestown Animal Hospital
Location: Charlestown, New Hampshire
Type: Full Time
Salary: $80,000-125,000 / year
Starting salary range is $80,000 – $125,000, based on experience. Relocation allowance is negotiable. Before you decide this isn’t enough compared to other hospitals, please consider: your money goes a lot farther in a semi-rural area than an urban one - you can buy a house and land here with what you’ll pay to rent a small apartment in a city; extra dollars won’t replace the mentoring you’ll get here; extra dollars won’t replace the fresh air, the trees, the birds, the lack of traffic, and all the other environmental factors that decrease your stress level living here; and your quality of life will be so much better here because we’re a really awesome group to work with. Desmond said so!
In addition to salary plus generous on-call compensation, we offer paid: DEA and state licenses, AVMA dues, Continuing Ed, time off (no quibbling about vacation vs sick vs personal time), professional liability, health insurance contribution, Simple IRA with up to 3% matching from us, VIN membership, clothing allowance, and generous pet discounts.
DVM or equivalent
2 openings available.
DO YOU WANT:
* MENTORING - We mentored our associate, Desmond, 3 years ago and she’ll be happy to join us in mentoring someone new. I think we did okay, because she’s the one who said our mentoring is part of what makes us stand out from the competition for a new associate.
* A GREAT TEAM TO WORK WITH - Addison says our team works together better than any she's seen, and she's had many jobs before joining us. We like each other and have fun at work! Seriously, you’ve got to have a sense of humor, or be able to deal with the rest of us that do, in order to work here! Our friendly, highly skilled staff includes the equivalent of 5 full time technicians (and we’re adding more) who start appointments, gather histories, collect and run lab work (blood, urine, ear smears, centrifuged fecals, etc), take rads, place catheters, start fluids, anesthetize and intubate patients, work in client education, crack jokes with each other and the clients, plus plus plus. We have a couple additional staffers who are especially good with the big, scared, and mobile dogs. Many of our clients tell us their dogs love to come here, and the “problem” pets are not as “bad” here, because we have great staff who work with them, which is one of the reasons we need more doctors!
* NICE TOYS TO PLAY WITH - We have Idexx in-house blood and urine analyzers, the good otoscopes, tonopen, digital x-ray and digital dental x-ray, a new ultrasound (and some US-specific CE to share up until August), rigid TCI and flexible endoscopes, radiocautery, surgical suction, fluid pumps, anesthetic monitors, hot water blankets, incubator for cultures, incubator / O2 cage for small to medium pets (like puppies after a C-section!), and more.
* AN ENCOURAGING, OPEN ENVIRONMENT - Don’t know everything already? Funny that, nor do we… But we love to learn new things and share! This year we learned about doxepin, Cerenia for mucus reduction, and silicone stents for laryngeal paralysis for our own dog, Josephine.
* ENOUGH TIME FOR APPOINTMENTS - 30 min appts + 10 min breaks between = time to interact, educate, and tailor a plan to meet our clients’ + patients’ needs = better compliance and long-term satisfaction for us all. Our clients love this, and recommend us frequently. This is another reason we’re growing and need more doctors!
* REALISTIC WORK ATTIRE - polo shirt with our logo, good jeans / cargo pants / Carharts, sneakers / sensible shoes, no uncomfortable and easily ruined dress wear, and NO white coat!
* SOME FLEXIBILITY IN YOUR WORK WEEK - Are you looking for a 3, 4, or 5 day work week? Are you an early bird or a night owl, and hoping for work hours to match? For the most part, we can accommodate…
* A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO LIVE AND WORK AND PLAY - I have 2 stop signs on my 8 minute drive to work; no traffic jams, unless you count having to wait for the squirrels and the occasional turkeys to cross the road; NO traffic light after traffic light after traffic light! This semi-rural area of southwestern New Hampshire hosts an extensive multi-use trail system for hiking / biking / horseback riding / snow mobiling / etc, a handful of big mountains for skiing / tubing / snow boarding and some smaller local ones as well, plenty of access for camping / fishing / boating / swimming / hunting / etc, and plenty of events and activities. And urban areas / college towns with all the amenities are not far away. This is why so many people moved HERE due to COVID.
WE HAVE ALL THIS, AND MORE!
Check out our Facebook page and our website, charlestownanimalhospital.com for more information on the services we offer our clients. There’s lots of routine stuff, but some things we do here are fairly unique and pretty cool, which gives our clients more options and us some variety. Newbies – no worries, we really do great mentoring!
We’re looking for someone like us: a team-player who is compassionate, thorough, client-education-oriented, able to think outside the box, with a wild (but never mean) sense of humor. We’d like full timers, but the right part timers would be considered. New grads are welcome. We do need you to cover some on-call, but don’t let that scare you off: it’s just 1 weekend per month OR a couple nights per week (you choose), you’ll always have a tech with you if you have to see someone, you are compensated additionally for all you do on emergency (a great way to pay off loans faster…), we’re still available to consult or help out, and anything you’re not comfortable with can be sent to an emergency hospital. People really appreciate our ability to triage and talk them through things after-hours, which gained us more daytime clients, and is also why we need more doctors!
We have a real buy-in/buy-out opportunity for the person who fits our hospital culture. I'm not ready to retire yet, but am ready to plan that. Desmond is not interested in owning a hospital. And I value my staff and clientele enough not to want to sell to a corporate buyer when the time comes.
If what we have described appeals to you, then please contact us to chat about our job openings.
You’ll need a NH license (pass the NAVLE and a NH jurisprudence exam), and a VT license (pass the NAVLE and apply to VT).
A DEA license and APHIS accreditation are a plus (you can’t play with puppies for health certificates without an APHIS accreditation…).
We are a growing, 2 doctor small animal hospital in beautiful semi-rural Southwestern New Hampshire; have the great outdoors in your own back yard, with urban amenities not far away. Our highly skilled, and still growing, staff currently includes the equivalent of 5 full time technicians and 8 additional support personnel. Our associate says our mentoring sets us apart, as do our patrons about our client education. We are a full service hospital, offering wellness care, internal medicine, reproduction, stem cell, and surgical services. See our website, charlestownanimalhospital.com, for a full list of our services. We have visiting certified Ultrasonographer and board certified Internist for consultations, special ultrasounds, cardiology work-ups, etc, as well as several referral hospitals within a reasonable distance.